DRIVER (SHORT TERM) – KENYA
Global Communities, formerly CHF International, is an international non-profit organization that works closely with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable.
Global Communities is seeking a qualified professional driver for a short term engagement. He/She will be responsible for providing support & transport services to all program activities and ensuring proper implementation of auto safety procedures.
The driver will be required to carry out proper maintenance procedures on the project vehicle(s).The driver will be hired to support the program activities on need basis.
The driver is supervised by the Procurement and Logistics Officer (PLO) and ultimately reports to the Senior Procurement and Operations Officer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Carry out daily checks on the vehicle. Items to be checked include but are not limited to: tires, rims, tire pressures, battery, windows, doors, wipers, parking brake, spare tire, engine coolant, oil level, windscreen washer, all lights, jack, wheel spanner, check for any leaks of vehicle fluids, and any body damage;
- Always keep the vehicle gas tank at least ½ full and account for fuel purchases;
- Accurately fill the vehicle mileage log on every trip made and ensure proper filing is done;
- Report to the PLO any defects, routine maintenance schedule and any accident involving GC vehicle, includes filling a vehicle accident report;
- Implement auto safety procedures whenever handling a motor vehicle; includes ensuring passenger safety and comfort;
- Ensure that all passengers wear seat belts at all times;
- Update the emergency contact document kept in the vehicle;
- Report to the PLO any requests made to the Driver for what might be considered inappropriate use of the vehicle or inappropriate carriage of goods;
- Ensure that equipment like first aid boxes, fire extinguishers, flash light, tow ropes, jumper cables and other tools are always in a serviceable condition;
- Adhere to Kenya highway code while driving;
- Ensure that vehicles maintain a smoke-free environment at all times;
- Ensure that no alcohol is open or consumed inside of GC vehicles;
- Adhere to a strict “no alcohol” consumption policy while on duty, including within 6-8 hours of official duty;
- Provide other administration support services as requested by the PLO;
- Be an ambassador for GC Kenya at all times;
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all privileged information;
- Work in partnership with the entire team to ensure the successful implementation of the GC Kenya program;
- Adhere to and incorporate into day-to-day operations the Standards of Professionalism developed by the Global Communities(GC) Kenya staff;
The duties listed above are not inclusive of all the driver duties at GC Kenya, other duties may be assigned at any time.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Post-secondary education and training with significant prior experience.
- Valid drivers’ license (class BCE).
- Community development and capacity building experience in both rural and urban areas preferred.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least four years driving experience in a busy environment both in urban and rural areas;
- Advanced interpersonal communication skills, relationship building and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively in a team;
- Ability to negotiate solutions to problems;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills;
- Ability to interact clearly and effectively with staff and other organizations;
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Word and Excel computer programs;
- Clean driving record;
- Experience in maintenance and repair of motor vehicles preferred;
- Knowledge of the local terrain and various routes countrywide.
- Defensive driving training will be an added advantage
- Fluency in written and oral English and Swahili
- The driver will be engaged on need basis through a contract;
- Long hours and weekend work sometimes required;
- Based in Nairobi with travel within the country as required to perform duties;
Apply via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please Quote the position title on the email subject while sending your application, attach your CV and cover letter, to be received not later than 22nd March 2019.
Global Communities is an equal opportunity employer